Clean Coast Outer Hebrides works with schools, scientific institutions, businesses, and community resources to enhance marine science education and literacy in the Outer Hebrides community.
Schools and Community Groups
We are available to provide advice, logistical support, materials, and outreach for local school and community groups. If you are a school or community group and would like more information please get in touch with us via email at: email@example.com.
Education is the key to opportunity. It’s a ticket out of poverty. – George H.W. Bush
For educators Clean Coast Outer Hebrides is available to provide advice on the structured development of existing classroom activities using up to date science-based information. We are trained and are available for consultation on the creation and implementation of:
- Quantifiable learning objectives
- Experiential learning activities
- More inclusive activities
- Learning objectives and rubrics
- Flipped classroom pedagogy
- Learner centered teaching
- Content and language integrated learning
- Reducing student apathy and increasing motivation
We also have direct experience of the development and structure of low budget high impact educational experiences (e.g., Barnard et al., 2017), and are able to identify and reach potential corporate and governmental funding streams. Our mission is to empower you, the educators, to develop the next generation of front line classroom activities.
Links to Relevant Literature:
- Review paper on plastic pollution (Law, 2017)
- Review paper on acoustic pollution (Southall et al., 2019)
- Derelict fishing gear (ghost nets) paper (Good et al., 2010)
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions/comments.
- Learn about microplastics with WHOI magazine here and webinar.
- Microplastics at WHOI and NOCS
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization: United Nations Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development (2021-2030)
- STEM Crew: Free Teaching Resources for Science, Design & Technology & Maths
- Scottish Government Marine Litter Strategy
- Keep Scotland Beautiful
- The Wildlife Trust: Living Seas
- USA Marine Debris Program
- Migratory Connectivity in the Ocean (MiCO), data mapping migratory species and their interconnectivity in the world’s oceans.
- A Grain of Sand inspirational consultancy driving positive change
- Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust education programs
- Marine Conservation Society
- Keep Britain Tidy
- Surfers Against Sewage Education
- Not Plastic
- Summer Institute for Climate Change Education
- Sky Ocean Rescue
- Stornoway-based fun environmental group Ecologisers
- Litter Literate Litter Literate: a Zero Waste Scotland Initiative
- For ocean data visualization we recommend Geomapapp!
- Awesome information about plastic pollution Oberk (thanks to Mikayla and her awesome assistant for this one!)
Fun Games and Classroom Resources
- Foster enthusiasm and deep learning by asking your students to collaborate and play the THE BIG CATCH from We Are The Oceans (WATO) today!
- Interactive marine science from WHOI
- Underwater volcanoes are called seamounts, but you can still learn alot about volcanism and it’s impacts here: EARTH GIRL or choose to help Earth Girl save people from giant ocean waves called TSUNAMIS.
- Simple but fun plastic pollution games
- Play: Dumb Ways to Kill The Ocean here
- Plastics and human health SERC
- Teaching GeoEthics Across the Geoscience Curriculum
- How teachers can empower the climate generation